Seeking Volunteer Support
Pete’s Hobby Railway is always on the look out for more volunteers to help with various projects and ongoing maintenance.
Forthcoming works for which volunteer support would be greatly appreciated include;
- Overhaul and repainting of the three remaining four-wheeled open passenger carriages (the commercial conversion of the fourth carriage to incorporate a guard’s compartment will be covered in a forthcoming Progress Report). The standard of the guard’s van conversion will set the standard for the other cars!!!
- Overhaul and (hopefully!) restoration to operational condition of the former Beaudesert Shire Tramway internal combustion inspection vehicle. Zane Maber is currently preparing a Scope of Works for this project so that we can all see what is involved and how this can be progressed.
- Restoration of the Fowler 0-6-0 steam locomotive – Preferably a full restoration to operational condition, otherwise a cosmetic restoration.
- Restoration of the Perry 0-6-2T steam locomotive – Preferably a full restoration to operational condition, otherwise a cosmetic restoration.
- Restoration and installation of the Vertical Boiler.
- Re-roofing of the Fuel Storage shed (a former horse stable) that is currently made out of a wooden frame and tin sheets.
- Renovating a former wooden storage shed in to a Trike and Felters shed.
- Assisting in track-laying. The strenuous parts of this work are undertaken using machinery – a bulldozer, dump truck, road-roller and a crane, but human hands and muscle are still required for many tasks.
There are always ongoing tasks that need regular attention and assistance with, including but not limited to;
- Locomotive Cleaning Assistants – assisting in preparing the steam locomotive for service including Sweeping and Hosing down of locomotives and carriages at beginning of day, raking out fire pit of steam engine at the end of the day… as a prelude to becoming a Trainee Engine-person on the steam locomotive.
- Locomotive Fuelling Assistants – assisting in preparing the steam locomotive for service including cutting timber to size for steam locomotive, transporting same to locomotive, stacking and rotation of fire wood supplies in storage shed, loading coal (if required) onto steam locomotive… as a prelude to becoming a Trainee Engine-person on the steam locomotive.
- Fitter and machinist, preferably with steam locomotive experience, able to carry out maintenance work on Pete’s 1915 vintage steam locomotive.
- Assisting our “Chief Gardener & Landscaper” with on going gardening and lawn mowing.
- Assisiting our Events Co-ordinator during Operations and Exhibition Days with setting up of tables, chairs, gazebos etc for our volunteers to have lunch under.
- Public Relations Assistant, assisting our Events Co-ordinator on Operating Days, by talking to interested persons over front fence.
- Photographers and videographers to take photos during various projects and on Operations and Exhibition Days, so we can publish them on our website.
We are looking at gathering a large enough team of volunteers so that on Operation Days we can have at least two teams working… a Setup Team that starts early in the day and then a Packup Team that starts later in the afternoon.
If you are able to assist in any of these projects or have any other areas you’d like to help out with, I would very much like to hear from you – you can use our Contact Form and select Volunteers.